By Myra Jensen
Need to move before your house is sold? Here are the Top Tips for Staging a Vacant Home:
1. Paint – When a home is empty, buyers will notice every little mark on the wall. Hire a professional (this is not the time for a novice paint job) to paint the rooms a warm color – and keep it to one color throughout.
2. Stick with a Theme – Every house has a “feel” to it. No matter what that feel is, run with it and promote it to the buyer. Don’t have one country feel room and one contemporary. If you home is a farmhouse – stick with that farmhouse feel – don’t try to make your home something it’s not, buyers will just be confused.
3. The Kitchen – Kitchens and baths sell homes – make sure the kitchen in your home feels cozy and comfortable. Highlight a breakfast bar by adding stools and placemats.
PLEASE DO NOT decorate your table with formal china, napkins and wine goblets, unless you have a million dollar home with a very formal diningroom. A bright (we suggest red) table runner or placemats will do the trick. Typically I say no to table cloths, because they are too distracting. Put a rug in front of the sink – to help the buyer imagine themselves standing there. One or two decorative items are plenty in this space. I do suggest highlighting over the cabinet space by placing one or two items there as well if it’s not too distracting.
4. The Bathroom – Make sure your bathroom is sparkling clean, and keep that toilet seat down for photos andshowings. Add a fluffy rug and a couple hand towels. If you do not have a shower door, a contemporary looking shower curtain (new, not a dingy old plastic one) will add a lot to the bathroom.
5. Provide seating – If a buyer is comfortable enough to sit down in a house, they are comfortable enough to buy it. If you have a great porch or deck, let the buyer get comfortable by providing seating – we love adirondack chairs for that purpose. And a kitchen table is a plus to provide the buyer with a place to write the purchase agreement!
Follow these tips for staging a vacant home and your listing photos will look amazing, and buyers will be ready to move right in! Contact us for more information on listing your home for sale!